On January 6th, 2001 I woke up at my Mom's house. It was a very sunny day. I was so excited! I rushed into the guest bedroom and looked at the dress. My wedding dress. In a matter of hours I was going to marry my best friend.
I don't even think I can describe the feelings I had. I was excited yet calm. Unsure, yet sure. I was optimistic about our future and still very much aware that a part of my life was ending. I wasn't coming home to stay any longer. I was... Gasp! An adult!
Most of that day is a blur. I went to Trade Secret (where I was working at the time) and Andrea curled my hair. We had done a run through before to make sure of the timing but of course, on this day, it took a lot longer than planned. Mom and I headed back to her house where my friend Ginnie met us. While my mom finished getting ready, Ginnie did my makeup.
We got everything together, walked out to Mom's SUV and. . . she had a flat tire. So we pile into Ginnie's car and headed toward the chapel. I happened to glance at the clock in Ginnie's car and started to panic!
I ask: "Is that the right time?"
Mom: "No. I don't think it is."
Ginnie: "My clock is REALLY fast."
Me: "Okay. Good! I was worried there for a second!"
You see, I was supposed to be at the chapel at 12:15. The chapel was off of Wears Valley Road in Pigeon Forge. Mom lived off of Middlebrook Pike around the Cedar Bluff area. Ginnie's clock read 11:50. For those of you not from here, it takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to get from Cedar Bluff to Pigeon Forge (most likely it will be 45 minutes). So anyway you look at it, we were going to be late.
But of course I didn't want to think about that. I really wanted to believe that Ginnie's clock was fast so I let myself believe it. And it worked. Until we got to the chapel.
When we arrived, the chapel people were in a panic. I had to put on my dress, take pictures, go over the ceremony, and calm my nerves in abut 15-20 minutes. It was then that I realized that Ginnie and Mom had lied to me. That had been the correct time. We were very late. And if you know me, that is not normal. So of course Mike was very worried about where I was. He knew that if I was late, something was wrong. But since the bride and groom are not supposed to see each other, I had to pray that someone was able to explain to him about our flat tire.
Most of the ceremony is a blur to me. Between being nervous being in front of people, being late and then rushed, and then the whole time we were up there I was thinking: 1. Am I standing in the right spot? 2. Am I putting the ring on Mike's left hand? 3. Did I just hear a cell phone go off? (Yes, I had and yes, it is on our wedding video) 4. Do I get to kiss him already!? I honestly don't remember a whole lot about the actual ceremony. We stood there, the minister talked, we lit a candle while "From this Moment" by Shania Twain and Bryan White played, we then listened to the minister talk some more and then he FINALLY said: "You may kiss the bride." You have to understand, I had waited almost 4 years to hear those words.
One thing that I do remember is that it was in the 50's that day. In January! It had been freezing the days leading up to the 6th and the days after the 6th. But not that day. So it was a bright sunny, unusually warm day. It was nice since we took some pictures outside.
We then all headed to Gatlinburg for our reception. Nothing really fancy. I'd say that pretty much sums up Mike and me. I mean we clean up nice but we tend not to be drawn to fancy things. We had good food and yummy cake with good friends and family. What a great day!
I honestly think I married one of the most patient men on the planet. He has to be. Not very many people could handle my drama queen moments, or my silly outbursts. He's a really special guy. He's sweet, funny, patient, cuddly, and the fact that he's handsome doesn't hurt either. I really think of him as a gift from God. I didn't do anything to deserve such a wonderful husband. And yet God gave him to me. Wow!
Love you Honeybunny! Thanks for being my husband!
1 comment:
happy anniversary!!!! he is a great guy, and you're not bad either!!! =)
Post a Comment